National Museum of Bhutan is located inside six floors of circular Ta Dzong, an ancient watchtower above Paro Dzong. The original building was constructed in 1656. In 1872, the future first monarch, Ugyen Wangchuk was imprisoned here, while embroiled in the conflict. The building was converted to house, the first museum of Bhutan in 1968. The collection of the museum comprises of textiles, gears, costumes, manuscripts, paintings, appliqué and embroidered Thangkas. There is a gallery of Bhutan’s famous stamp, stuffed animals, insects, bamboo crafts, arms and armours, jewellery, household artifacts. On the top, there is also a chapel in form of a life-sustaining tree, with icons representing various Himalayan Buddhist traditions.